Shabbilicious vintage treasure chest

When I’m creating I often get caught up on a theme. . . as was the case last week when I spent several days making an assortment of pretty white things. . . all with a vintage look and adorned with pale pink roses.

This ‘largish’ paper mache treasure chest has been hanging around the studio for awhile now. I hadn’t made up my mind quite what to do with it until I started playing around with some graphics from The Graphics Fairy in Photoshop. I used this rose design from The Graphics Fairy as my main graphic, plus some other vintage journal sheets I had in my stash to create some pretty printable papers. I knew they were exactly what I needed for my treasure chest.

I painted the chest an antique white and distressed some of the paint work on the edges for a timeworn look.

I cut the printed sheets to size and applied them to the chest using Mod Podge.

A wash of some watery brown paint was then added over the graphics to give a more authentic vintage feel to the treasure chest, before it was sealed.

A plaited rope made from ripped strips of fabric was used as handles. . . and some pale pink ribbon and a vintage lock were used to finish her off.

Even that back of the chest is pretty, so perfect to have on display for viewing from all sides.

For inside the treasure chest I made a set of pretty lace/ribbon boards in matching papers. . .

. . .now this pretty shabby chest is perfect for holding beautiful craft supplies.

I so enjoyed these vintage look papers that I then went on to make several other projects using them. . . but I’ll show you those another day.

I’m sharing my vintage look treasure chest at Brag Monday @ The Graphics Fairy, White Wednesday @ Faded Charm, Party Time @ 36th Avenue, Creative Things Thursday @ Vintage Farmhouse, Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage, The Creative Spark @ Clean and Scentsible,

. . . plus all the lovely gals at these Link Parties during the week.

Shabbilicious hugs ~ Kerryanne