Christmas decor from thrift ware

I have a thing for snowmen.

I like to incorporate them in my Christmas decorating . . . which is really kind of weird given I live in Australia where Christmas falls in the middle of our summer.

Even stranger I suppose . . . my part of Australia has a sub-tropical climate. . . where it will never ever snow!

But I like snowmen. . . and a white Christmas seems so romantic. . . so I bring out my little painted snowmen at Christmas time.

Shabby Art Boutique snowman plate 2

This post isn’t really about snowmen . . .

It’s about the plate the snowman is painted on.

I love using pedestal plates when entertaining. . . they not only add height to a table setting, but also allow more plates and platters to be placed on the table. . . which is great if you are putting on a big feast.

Shabby Art Boutique thrifty make-over 1

Awhile back I painted up a big white platter and I knew it would be ideal for a pedestal plate stand. . . but I needed something to use as the pedestal.

So off to the thrifts stores I went. . . where I found some great thrifty finds that would be perfect for not one, but two pedestal plate stands.

And the best part . . . I spent the grand total of $2.80

Shabby Art Boutique pedestal plate stand

After a good sanding, I painted the chunky candle holder white. . .

then distressed it a bit for that shabby time worn look. . .

and attached it to my large platter with Araldite.

I’ve sealed it all with several coats of matt spray, so I can wipe it over after use.

 

Shabby Art Boutique  snowman plate

That left me with the smaller candle holder and wood bowl.

Hmm, having just unpacked my Christmas decorations I knew a pedestal bowl for my snowman collection would be perfect.

So I painted up both the bowl and candle holder separately before attaching them with Araldite. . . and now I have the sweetest snowman pedestal plate stand.

 

Shabby Art Boutique snowman plate 3

Christmas decorating doesn’t have to be expensive!

Sometimes you just have to look outside the box and repurpose thrifted objects.

The candle holders above were originally off cuts of wood. . . but a little paint and artwork made them into pretty and decorative decor pieces.

I’m sharing my thrifted make-overs at these link parties and with these friends this week: French Country Cottage, The Vintage Farmhouse, 36th Avenue, Clean and Scentsible, Live Laugh Rowe, The DIY Dreamer, Transformation Thursday, At The Picket Fence, Nifty Thrifty Sunday.