A ‘joyful’ guilty pleasure

Today I am sharing a ‘guilty pleasure’.

Do you remember the school fete days from your childhood?

As a child of the 70’s I have very fond memories of the school fete and in particular, the cake stall.

Ohhhh those days were so politically incorrect . . . our mothers were more than happy to overload us with huge amounts of sugar in the name of ‘having fun on fete day’.

There were the toffees of course. . . tucked into patty cases, all golden brown and sprinkled with hundreds and thousands . . . what a delight it was to suck on one of those babies for a few days. No one worried about cavities or germs . . . or sticky messes.

The other fete day favourite was the Honey Joys.

These were my favourites . . . and still are!

Yes. . . it’s these joyful honey coated flakes that provide my guilty pleasure.

I still make these little honey wonders using a recipe my mum passed down to me. It’s quite different to the usual recipe . . . you know the one on the side of the Kellogg's Cornflake box. The other recipe has lots of sugar and a spoon of honey . . . my mum’s recipe has lots of honey and a spoon of sugar.

To make: Place butter, honey and sugar into small saucepan and stir over medium heat until butter has melted. Pour warm mixture over cornflakes and stir. Spoon mixture into paper cases and bake in moderate oven for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and stand for 15 minutes to firm.

Easy . . . fast . . . cheap!!

My kids love the Honey Joys and they always disappear quite quickly . . .

. . . but let me tell you, serve these joyful ‘old favourites’ at a coffee and chat morning with reminiscing middle aged women and they will be woofed down quicker than you can say ‘sugar fix’.

I’ll be sharing my ‘guilty pleasure’ this week at these link parties. . . please come along and check out all the amazing talent.

Sugary kisses ~ Kerryanne

Featured at: