Wrapping up Christmas

Here’s something confronting . . . my 15 year old daughter says to me “do you think our family is a little weird?”

Well. . . with my mind racing through a who’ s who of the extended family I was quietly nodding, but decided against admitting to any ‘weirdness’ until I knew exactly what measure of weirdness we were talking about.

I nearly let the conversation go . . . but curiosity got the better of me. I really did want to know on what level we were considered weird.

Now remember, this is a conversation with a 15 year old. If you’ve got a 15 year old or know a 15 year old then you know only too well that 15 is such an ‘interesting’ age.

Of course being a lot older than 15, I apparently know nothing. . . I have no clue and even if it was explained to me I probably wouldn’t get it. Hmm. . . just between you and me, I don’t think I really want to get it.

So I dip a toe in the water of this potentially scary conversation with “do you think we are weird?”. . . answering a question with a question seemed the safest option. Her reply was a typical 15 year olds non-committal shrug.

[sigh] this was going to be harder than I thought.

So I change tactics and say “I think all families look a bit weird to outsiders”

“Maybe, but other families don’t have Christmas for 6 months of the year” says my now perplexed looking teenager.

Ahhh. . . so that’s it. Obviously another ‘interesting’ 15 year old has said something.

So I give this some serious contemplation. . .

I’ve been designing a Christmas collection for 20+ years now. . . long before my children were born. They grew up playing in my studio, seeing me creating and know nothing else. To them, being surrounded with Christmas goodies is normal.

Thinking back. . . hmm, there may have been just a smidge of weirdness when my children were younger. They did start counting down the days to Christmas and writing letters to Santa in June, but hey, if that’s the depth of their weirdness I’m a happy mamma.

I don’t think there’s been any permanent damage.

To put everything into perspective we discussed what other parents did for a job. Got to tell you . . . not an interesting one amongst them, but that’s just my opinion.

After awhile both of us were of the conclusion that designing and making Christmas things for 6 months of the year wasn’t so bad . . . okay, perhaps just a little weird to others . . . but for our family it was PERFECTLY normal.

Thankfully, our ‘weirdness’ crisis is nothing more than a fun loving apron wearing artist with a passion to create. . . no axe murderers or lunatics here!

That almost wraps up my vintage Christmas designs for 2012. Got another one up my sleeve for another day.

I’m writing patterns right now and waiting for craft supplies to arrive, so I can upload all this Christmas goodness to my website. Then everyone else can join in the Christmas weirdness of making things in readiness for later in the year – lol.

Just a final note, I’m now taking orders for this personalised vintage Christmas canvas on my FB page or you can email if you’d like more information. I can also post overseas.

I’m partying this week with al the gorgeous girls at these link parties

Hope your day is ‘Merry & Bright’ ~ Kerryanne