Mmmm… Christmas baking

At this magical time of year, the world is united in savouring the delicious cooking smells wafting from the family kitchen.

Let’s be honest here, a big part of Christmas for many of us, is the FOOD... right! Hhmmm... who wants to be sensible at Christmas? Isn’t it another one of those holiday traditions to stuff ourselves silly during the Yule time?


Each year about this time I make a start on my Christmas baking. I have my favourite recipes that I dust off especially for the occasion. Some of the recipes are family favourites, while others have been collected and added to my file over the years, forming what is now our family baking tradition. My children (even the Princess) join in the fun of baking yummy gifts to give and of course, we also like to fill our house with the usual Christmas treats during December.

I start my Christmas baking with the traditional fruit cake... you know the real fruity kind with a ‘boozy’ festive flavour. If you are making one of these alcohol infused cakes, then now is the perfect time to make a start. This allows you to top it up with brandy (or rum) each week between now and when you use it. Do you save your cake for Christmas day or do you prefer like me to enjoy it throughout December?

ChristmasCake3

Fruit cake has been around for centuries and with a history as rich as its ingredients it’s an old holiday tradition. Unfortunately, I think it is one of those foods that you either love or hate. This brings me to the ‘other’ fruit cake I make at Christmas – our family fruit cake. You see, my family doesn’t really enjoy the REAL traditional fruit cake that I so love. They each have their likes and dislikes so I make their cake according to their needs; no mixed peel, not too much fruit, not too rich and dark… have you guessed what I make? Yep, it’s just a big old sultana cake, but they love it!! LOL

candy-line

What’s happening in the studio: Yesterday I was doing some Christmas baking of a different kind. Well, not strictly baking as such [giggle]. I was making a batch of my faux cakes with a Christmas theme for a friend.

cake1   cake2

She’s using them in her Christmas displays for her shop. If you’d like to make your own ‘faux’ Christmas cakes you can get the recipe here at my Boutique Bakery.

Giveaway: to inspire your gift making projects, I have this lovely book by Helen Philipps as the Friday Giveaway.

book

Check back Friday to see who the lucky winner is!

candy-line 


Anyhoo, back to the real baking. What are your Christmas baking traditions? Are you carrying on what you grew-up with or are they new for you and your family?

Christmas fruit cakes are so varied and often come from family recipes passed down through the generations. I’d love for you to share some of your favourite fruit cake recipes and tips, so if you’d like to join in please add your post link below.